Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tonight I worked the corner ....

That's right, tonight I worked the corner, and so did Ryan and a bunch of our friends and family.... NO not that (get your mind out of the gutter)
We waived signs for YES on 8
I was not thrilled at putting myself on a street corner displaying my beliefs, I mean I fully support Prop. 8 and I was happy that others were out there doing that and going door to door, but I wasn't really sure it was "my place" to take an actual stand-
But it is - it is all of our responsibilities to take a stand, for or against, McCain or Obama or Nader... it is our place. If you sit back and do nothing, you have no voice, no voice to complain when it doesn't go your way. I firmly believe that. If you believe it - truly believe - then you have to take a stand, its your right and your duty.

It was hard at first to see people giving us the "not so nice" waive or to hear the profanity that people felt they needed to share- but for every negative, we were given twenty positives. People were so nice and honked and waived. When it was time to go my arms were tired, but my spirit was strong. Pass or fail - I will know I took a stand.

“The issue before us with Proposition 8 is “marriage” – an ancient, yet modern, human institution which pre-exists both Church and government. Marriage, history shows us, is intrinsic to stable, flourishing and hospitable societies. Although cultural differences have occurred, what has never changed is that marriage is the ideal relationship between a man and a woman for the purpose of procreation and the continuation of the human race.

-A Statement of the Catholic Bishops of California in Support of Proposition 8: A Constitutional Amendment to Restore the Definition of Marriage.

For me Prop. 8 is not about hate- I do not hate those who do not share my beliefs. I simply feel that MARRIAGE is between a man and a women. It is simple - If God had put two Adams and two Eves in Separate gardens - we wouldn't be having this discussion because we wouldn't be here- I believe God's plan - I believe marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman and that it is the foundation of a family- and I believe it needs to be protected.




No comments:

Post a Comment