Saturday, October 23, 2010

39.3 miles that changed my life Part 3

So I have been fighting with blogger - and blogger is winning
Here is another post
So we got to Wellness Village at the end of Day one and it took everything I had not to break down and cry - I was so overcome with emotion- emotion from the amazing people I had met and stories I had heard, the heartbreaking losses so many had to go through that brought them to this point, the emotion of actually making it the entire 26.2 miles - when at points I thought I was not going to make it another mile. I called Ryan and I almost broke down, I called my mom and I almost lost it.  It's a combination of excitement and exhaustion, pain and pride.... it's unlike anything I have ever experienced before.
Once we were at Wellness Village we got foot and back massages, went and got our tent and set it up.. (yeah we had to pitch our own tents....) ate ( Kate and I both went back for seconds... yeah for pasta) showered. And then we went to the Med tent... see during the walk, I could tell that my foot hurt but I didn't dare to look- if I had I don't know if I would have had the will power to go any further.  I had the hugest blister on my left big toe.  Actually considering my feet and my history with loosing toe nails and getting blisters ALL THE TIME ... I consider this a success... only one blister - it was just HUGE.  After getting my blister drained... it was so gross. We headed back to camp and went to sleep.   
 We woke up early the next morning ( early then we were planning thanks to our noisy neighbors) Went and had a delicious breakfast of eggs and potatoes ( yep I had to break down and eat eggs ....luckily there was ketchup) We set off for day two feeling tired, and sore, somehow 13.1 miles sounded a heck of a lot further today then it did yesterday.  
But we did it - the last 3 miles were horrible - we were tired , my back was killing me, Kate's ankle's were swelling more then normal for a pregnant person (although probably exactly as much as they should given the fact that she had walked 40+ miles)
We made it - and it was AWESOME !!!   Don't forget to visit My Walk Page  I just $460 from my fundraising goal.... every donation makes a difference!!!

It's hard to see but I was trying to
get a picture of all the walkers behind
us - Day 2

Day 2 mile 7 - so really mile 33.2 miles
this was a little more than half way
day two !

One of the many rest- stops where we could refill water
go to the bathroom and get medical attention if needed
Each rest stop had a theme I think this one
was old Hollywood 

Here we are just outside the closing ceremonies
waiting to cross the finish line - Day 2

Inside Closing Cermony - it's basically a sea of pink

Still waiting.. the finish line is in sight!!!

Here are my feet - 39.3 miles later ... bandaged and broken
(not literally) but it was all worth it 

We did it !!!! 

I did it!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment