Saturday, September 20, 2008

The funny thing about Blogs ....

Agh, the drama of blogging...
It all started the other day when I called a friend and we were chatting- our conversation of course led to blogs, I think it went something like this
my friend-- "have you talked to so and so?"
me-- "well I looked at there blog"
my friend--"yeah I went on there too and I wanted to leave a comment, but I didn't have time to update my blog, so I didn't want people to see my comment, cause then they would know I was online, BUT didn't update my blog"
me--"Oh, I never comment, like hardly ever, ever do I leave a comment, are you supposed to always comment?"

We went on to talk about the politics of blogs, something that until recently I hadn't even thought about.

So, if someone has a link to your blog on their blog are you then required to put a link to their blog? (I have avoided this one by linking no one, not actually on purpose but because I can't seem to figure out how)
Apparently, these links are like friendship bracelets - if your blog makes it on someone else's blog then you are popular and they like you, but if your blog doesn't make the list..... well better luck next year.

Do you have to leave comments? And if someone leaves a comment on my page do I need to then comment back to their comment, should I mention their comment if I run into them at the store, if I don't comment is that going to jepordize my standing on their links to other blogs?!

Should I even attempt to update my blog if I am not going to then take the time to visit everyone else's blog (well everyone who has me listed on their blog as a friend or family member) and leave a comment? If you notice that my blog has been updated but I haven't left a comment on your blog do you think I am selfish and lazy?

My blog isn't private, so if someone I know stumbles upon it and leaves me a comment do I have to add them to blogs I am watching? Even if we aren't friends (well even if I don't think we are friends)?

If I don't have enough time to update my blog, but I go to someone else's blog and leave a comment, do others see my comment and think "oh Joy left a comment, she must have updated her blog, lets see.. click" only to be sorely disappointed and then when they see that I have left them high and dry, do they curse me is private?

There is this whole dynamic to blogging that I had never consciously considered, but subconciusoly I worried about - so many times I have thought about blogging or not blogging, leaving a comment, etc -

agh... I will update when I am ready, comment when I feel like it and I still haven't figured out how to link other blogs to mine- so that is that....

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I expect a comment from you since we dont live remotely close and I havent seen you in years! Just kidding, you totally know Im exagerating. There is no expectations on our side, and if you want help on the friendship bracelet links, I'll come over and help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha! I hear ya! That cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a lot of wasted brain power Joy! Stop thinking so much and post more Ari pictures! ;)

    ReplyDelete