Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sleep Training Night 1

Okay so this is it, Ryan and I have committed to getting Ari to:
a) Sleep in his crib
b) Go to bed at a reasonable time for a 1 year old
and c) stop nursing constantly throughout the night

bye bye family bed - you were fun while you lasted. I will miss you a little but your time has come. I am still a huge support of the family bed (if it works for you) but understand that it is not for everyone. I think that the family bed helped me especially while I was working to connect, or rather re-connect with Ari after a long day at work and it kept my milk supply strong enough to nurse Ari for the year+ as I had desired.

So after reading a slew of books about how to wean your child, how to sleep train them, and so on and so forth - we have decided that with Ari we are going to try the "cry it out" approach -

Today is NIGHT #1
7:00pm-7:30pm -- Ari free play we did block and cars
7:30pm - upstairs for last nursing of the night and bath time
7:45pm - baby massage, books and song
8:12pm - I shut the door to my little ones room, and my heart broke....

I have read that the average for the first night is about an hour of crying.... Ari seems to be one of those "exceptions to the rule" so I am guessing this kid won't give up til day break

It's been 12 minutes and I can still hear him - man this stinks
Ryan is at a scouts meeting so I have to be strong - I don't want a five year old sleeping in my bed and its not going to get any easier tomorrow or a week from Thursday or next Friday ....be strong Joy ... man this stinks

I am glad that Ari has not started to call for me - his crys are just crys of anger at this time - it would really crush me if he were saying "mama, mama...."

We have to do it this time - we can not back down -

I love him -
I am a good mom. right? -

it's 8:30pm and I am feeling weak - how long can a pack meeting be???

1 comment:

  1. Don't give up for at least 2 weeks. You can't say if it is working or not before then. It's hard, but has been so worth it for me. To be able to just go and put your child to bed and then be able to have some adult time in the evening. And work on one thing at a time. Still nurse him at night until he gets the going to sleep on his own thing. It will make your life a lot better. Of course, for me, Graham slept so much better at night after we weaned. It was a definite cause and effect. But then again, he wasn't a good nurser, so weaning was as simple as handing him a bottle in stead of a boob. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete